About Melissa & Better Beyond 50
Hey! I’m Melissa Koerner, a passionate, Holistic Health, Fitness & Nutrition Coach for women at midlife. My mission is simple: I’m here to help you make the second phase of your life the BEST years of your life.
And I help you achieve that by doing three things:
- Giving you a straightforward, realistic and sustainable approach to creating the healthy body you need for the rest of your life—no unhealthy diets, no extreme fitness programs, no B.S.!
- Empowering you to take full responsibility for your choices and to feel in control of your life.
- Inspiring you to realize that midlife is an opportunity for transforming and healing your body, mind and spirit and that by making simple lifestyle changes your most pleasurable years can be ahead of you.
I’m here so that you don’t have to go through this transformative time alone. And with the right education, tools and support you’ll have everything you need to reinvent yourself as a healthier, happier and more resilient woman in the second half of your life.
What do you know about being healthy at midlife? (you don’t look like you’re in your 50s!)
I’ll be completely up front with you. As you suspected, I’m not a woman in her 50s—I’m not even a woman in her 40s. I’m a woman in her late thirties who cares deeply about helping other women feel good about themselves and gain control of their lives.
We may not have age in common, but like you, I’ve struggled to get a handle on my own health, and I’ve felt helpless, hopeless, and frustrated by my many failed attempts to feel better. Up until eight years ago, I was dealing with a list of my own nagging health problems that persisted for many years. Here’s what was going on with me… Get ready, it’s a long list!
- I was chronically fatigued (I was diagnosed with mono in high school and after that I didn’t regain my energy for many years)
- I didn’t sleep well
- I had chronic skin problems with “adult acne” and dry, itchy scalp
- I often felt nauseous for no apparent reason
- Every winter I got a cold that lasted until the spring
- I had chronic digestive problems like indigestion and constipation (my doctor at the time told me I had IBS)
- I had severe sweet cravings, especially for chocolate
- I was extremely moody, anxious and easily depressed
- I experienced daily brain fog
- I had chronic “female issues” like painful periods, frequent urinary tract infections, and recurrent bouts with yeast infections
- I had lower back, hip and shoulder pain
- I gained weight and excess body fat around my belly, hips and thighs
- My body STOPPED responding to exercise (and I was exercising every day!)
I basically felt like a mess inside and out. And I was only in my twenties! I finally reached a point where I’d had enough. I was tired of feeling sick and tired, and I knew that if I didn’t start taking responsibility and control of my health I was only going to continue to feel worse, and develop even more health problems down the road.
So I immersed myself in as many health resources as I could get my hands on. I’ve spent thousands of dollars and countless hours attending seminars, talking with experts, getting advanced certifications, and reading books to learn as much as I possibly can about women’s health. And once I sifted through all the B.S. (which has taken me a long time because there’s a lot of it out there) and I had the core pieces of information under my belt, I applied what I learned on my very first client…
After many years of sabotaging myself by focusing on my weight—not my wellbeing— and constantly looking for the next “magic bullet” with every diet and fitness program I could find, I finally got off the exhausting “hamster wheel.” I changed my thinking from feeling that I always had to follow a strict diet and exercise “plan” to focusing on consistently making small, sustainable lifestyle changes at a pace that I could handle.
By taking a holistic approach and making simple changes in how I eat, move, sleep, and manage my stress, I’ve been able to overcome ALL of my own health problems. And I can honestly tell you that I feel better now than I did when I was a teenager, and I only continue to feel better as the years go on. And I want that feeling for you too!
I have truly discovered the secrets to staying motivated, letting go of feelings of guilt around food and exercise, making time for myself, and maintaining healthy habits as I get older. And after successfully getting my own health on track, I started helping my private clients do it too with a simple system that I developed. My own journey to better health and my experience coaching hundreds of women at midlife from all over the world have taught me what works and what doesn’t.
I’ve dedicated my life to helping other women like you who want to be healthy, but are just not sure where to begin making changes. I’m committed to helping you get the results you want and feel better at this stage of your life than you’ve ever felt, without the headache of having to sift through all the “clutter” like I have.
What is Better Beyond 50?
The Beyond 50 Movement was created to help women at midlife break free from the ageist stereotype that getting older means feeling old, weak and unhealthy by helping them reclaim their vitality and make menopause (pre, during and post) a time for personal empowerment and growth.
Better Beyond 50 is not just a health program for women approaching 50 and over; it is an educational, inspirational, motivational journey about how the choices we make—how we think, eat, sleep, manage stress, and move—give us the power to create vibrant health for the rest of our lives.
What makes Better Beyond 50 different from every other “health” program out there is that it’s a holistic approach. Better Beyond 50 not only helps you discover what you need to know about how to eat better and be more active (safely), but you get the tools and strategies you need to sleep better, manage your stress better, gain better clarity about your life, and develop a better overall self-concept.
Better Beyond 50 is NOT a rapid weight loss or “quick-fix” health program that will magically solve all of your health problems—it is a lifestyle-changing program that shows you how to feel your happiest and healthiest in the second phase of your life by making simple and sustainable changes.
Why should I care?
If you’re at a point in your life where you’re feeling frustrated, hopeless, and helpless because you’re struggling to deal with all of the changes going on in your body, and you just want to get back to that healthy, fit and energetic woman you used to be—or better yet you want to become an even healthier and more fit version of the woman you used to be—then you’re in the right place.
You see, you’re at a crossroads in your life right now. And as you continue into the second phase of your life you basically have two choices:
You can either continue living the same lifestyle—making poor food choices, not moving enough, letting your stress levels get out of control, and continuing with relationships, a job and other situations that you have outgrown—a situation that quite frankly, will only make you age faster and increase your chances of developing health problems…
Or, you can make the choice to end the battle that you have going on inside of you and make some positive and lasting healthy changes in your life—changes that your body is clearly telling you that it wants and needs—so you can enjoy the second phase of your life looking and feeling your absolute best.
I invite you to decide your path. The choice is ultimately yours.
How come you have lots of raving members?
I’ve had the privilege and honor of helping hundreds of women approaching 50 and over gain energy, improve digestion, sleep more soundly, think more clearly, fit better in their clothes, and feel more self-confident.
But you don’t have to take my word for it. Click here to see what our members are saying.
Is it true that you donate a portion of your proceeds?
I am very passionate about eating whole foods to provide the nourishment we need to feel energized, stay active and be as healthy as we can be, so we can enjoy doing all of the things we love with the people we care about most. Unfortunately, not everyone has access to the healthy food they need to thrive, especially many growing children.
In an effort to help support a healthier future for children in need, I have made the commitment to give a portion of Better Beyond 50 proceeds to the Whole Kids Foundation to provide fresh, delicious and nourishing foods through their School Garden Grant Program.
So while you’re creating a healthier future for yourself and your family by joining the Better Beyond 50 Movement, you’re also helping to build edible food gardens on school grounds throughout North America.
I want more! What should I do next?
Before you go, make sure that you do these three things:
- Sign up for my free training and weekly newsletter. Click here to get your FREE 3-Step Plan to Vibrant Health After 50.
- Subscribe to my Better Beyond 50 podcast.
- “Like” the Better Beyond 50 Facebook page so we can stay connected!
Through my weekly newsletter, podcasts and Facebook page you’ll discover practical tools and strategies for living a healthy lifestyle. And whenever I have something new and important that I think you should know about, my newsletter subscribers get the inside scoop. So make sure you’re a subscriber—it’s FREE!
About Melissa Koerner
Fun Facts… If You Want to Get a Bit More Personal with Me
- My family calls me “Miss,” and my nephew calls me “Auntie Missy”—the nickname “Missy” is reserved ONLY for him because as much as I dislike that nickname it’s endearing coming from him.
- My first job was as a sandwich maker for D’Angelo Sandwich Shop—I LOVED the crunchy veggie in a pita pocket with lots of cheese! Funny thing is, as much as I used to enjoy eating sandwiches, I’ve become acutely aware of how crappy eating bread makes me feel, so I actually don’t eat bread any more—or any grains at all for that matter. Yup, my sandwich days are behind me and a feel much better for it.
- My fiancé and I have the same birthday (June 9th,) but he’s eight years younger than me.
- I am a HUGE fan of the Golden Girls, Hitchcock movies, and anything with Tom Selleck (Confession: I still watch re-runs of the Golden Girls and Magnum PI—don’t tell anyone I’m stuck in the 80s.)
- My guilty pleasure: cop/detective shows like Crossing Jordan and Blue Bloods (I told you I was a Selleck fan!)
- I have the most lovable and CRAZY Labrador in the world! Her name is Phoebe (yes, I’m also a Friends fan,) but I often call her by one of her nicknames: Miss Phoebs, Princess Phoebe, or Phoebilicioius. She’s a lot of fun, and she’s great hiking companion, but if you don’t keep an eye on her she will tear anything and everything with stuffing apart!
Melissa Koerner is a Holistic Health, Fitness & Nutrition Coach, and the creator of Better Beyond 50. Her mission is to help women in their midlife years break free from the ageist stereotype that getting older means feeling old and unhealthy by giving them a simple and sustainable plan to help them feel their happiest and healthiest in the second phase of their lives.
With her online wellness programs, she has helped hundreds of women approaching 50 and over gain energy, improve digestion, sleep more soundly, think more clearly, fit better in their clothes, and feel more self-confident.
Better Beyond 50’s methods are based on Melissa’s teaching experience and advanced certifications:
- Certified Holistic Lifestyle Coach 2 – Corrective Holistic Exercise Kinesiology (CHEK) Institute
- Certified Metabolic Typing Nutrition Advisor – Metabolic Typing Education Center
- Certified Personal Trainer – National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
Melissa has been a featured expert in various media publications, radio shows and conferences such as the Union Leader, Business NH Magazine, the Hippo, Empower Radio, The Mind Aware Show, 107.7 the Pulse, the NH Economic Development Summit, and the NH Conference for Women.